Russia: Serebrennikov lawyers vow to fight three-month house arrest extension

The Basmanny Court in Moscow extended the director Kirill Serebrennikov's house arrest until 19th January 2018, Tuesday, before he was due to be released on 19th October. The court also rejected Serebrennikov's request to let him go to the Bolshoi Theatre for two days to work on his new ballet Nuriev and for a further five days in order to finish a film about Soviet singer Viktor Tsoi. Thus... Еще, director Kirill Serebrennikov, ex-chief accountant Nina Maslyaeva and general director of the Seventh Studio Yuriy Itin will remain under house arrest, as will the ex-director of the Gogol Centre Alexei Malobrodsky. The theatre art director was charged last month with embezzling 68 million rubles (US $1,182,547; €996,108) of state funds allocated for the project ‘Platform’ between 2011-2014. If found guilty, Serebrennikov could be sentenced to 10 years in prison. «Since we believe that the extension is illegal and unreasonable, we will appeal this decision. Kirill is good, he is hanging in, fighting and will fight, because he said he did not commit any crime and the truth is on his side,» said lawyer Dmitry Kharitonov.

Самое интересное

Новости партнеров

ТемыВсе темы