Afghan Taliban official Sher Mohammad Abbas Stanikzai answered questions from an RT journalist about US President Donald Trump’s cancellation of US-Taliban negotiations, in an exclusive interview in Moscow on Thursday.
“For the last one year we had negotiated with the American side for peace, so that we can bring peace in Afghanistan after a long war of 18 years,» he said.
The Taliban... Еще spokesperson expressed his hope that Trump would «rethink his announcement» and re-continue negotiations.
“From our side it is not cancelled, it is cancelled from the American side. I don’t know the reason behind that. You can ask them what happened. But we are still committed to the negotiations,” said the Taliban official.
The peace negotiations between the US and the Taliban were called off by Trump days ahead of a planned signing of a formal agreement.
Earlier in September, Trump cited an attack which killed a US soldier stationed in Afghanistan, as the reason for the cancellation of the talks.