North Korea announced it will cut off all communication lines with South Korea, including a direct line between leaders of the two countries, and the joint liaison office, after accusing Seoul of sending leaflets into the North which are critical of the communist government. The announcement was made via a public broadcaster on Tuesday.
«All communication lines between the North and South are to be cut off. The Korean Central News Agency reports as follows: the South Korean authorities have connived with hostile acts against our republic by undesirable people, and have tried to make bad excuses, evading their responsibility. This has driven inter-Korean relations to a catastrophe,» read the announcement.
«On June 8, during the review meeting of departments dealing with relations with the South, Kim Yong Chol, Vice-Chairman of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea, and Kim Yo Jong, First Vice Department Director of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea, emphasised that this work should be completely treated like working with an enemy,» the announcement said.
«Therefore, from 12:00 [03:00 GMT] on June 9, 2020, our relevant authorities will completely cut all the contact connections between North and South, including the joint liaison office, the military communication lines on the East Sea and West Sea, the trial North-South contact line, and the hotline between the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea and the Blue House,» read the announcement.
Last week, the sister of the North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, Kim Yo-jong, warned South Korea against sending leaflets, which she said violated the peace agreements signed during the 2018 Panmunjom summit between Kim Jong-un and the South Korean President Moon Jae-in.
Mandatory Credit: NKTV