Berlin Health Senator Dilek Kalayci said at a press conference on Monday that Berlin and the public health department are «very well prepared» as Berlin confirmed its first case of the deadly coronavirus.
A 22-year-old man from Mitte was diagnosed by «accident» after being brought to hospital with fever, and other symptoms that are not typical of the coronavirus, according to Charite Hospital... Еще Director Prof. Ulrich Frei. The patient is currently being kept at Charite Hospital in Berlin's Wedding district.
The public health department introduced measures to test for the coronavirus about a week ago, resulting in the surprise diagnostic. It is not yet known where the patient contracted the virus, but 60 contact-persons have already been identified, up until now.
«The emphasis lies on 'until now,'» added Kalayci, who confirmed the patient's parents, who had visited him at the weekend, come from Nordrhein-Westfalen, where cases have already been confirmed.
«It could be said that his status has somewhat improved,» said Kalayci.
According to the latest reports by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), at least 89,000 people have been infected by the COVID-19 so far and over 3,00 people have died. There are currently 150 cases confirmed in Germany.