French Minister for the Armed Forces Florence Parly said that an operation led by French special forces to free four hostages in Burkina Faso had resulted in the death of two French soldiers, while speaking at a press conference in Paris alongside French General Francois Lecointre on Friday.
«It's an operation of a great difficulty that few armies in the world are able to carry out. The freed... Еще hostages will be able to find their freedom and their dear ones. It is with pride that I congratulate everyone who contributed to this outcome,» she said.
The high-risk raid was launched by special units to free two French tourists kidnapped in Benin earlier in May, and also led to the release of a South Korean and a US woman who had found themselves in the hands of the militants.
The minister confirmed that two French commandos Cedric de Pierrepont and Alain Bertoncello were killed during the operation, and praised the soldiers' bravery.
mandatory credit ministry of the french armed forces; no use after june 8 and use only for the purpose of reporting current events