A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson condemned what he termed the «hypocrisy» and «sinister intentions» of the United States during a press conference in Beijing on Tuesday, on the 30th anniversary of the Chinese crackdown against the Tiananmen Square protesters.
His statement followed US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's comments a day earlier that Washington had lost all hope for progress on... Еще human rights in China. Pompeo also called for a full public account of the Tiananmen Square victims.
«Some people in the United States have always thought of themselves as teachers. They interfere in other countries' internal affairs under the guise of democracy and human rights. However, they turned a blind eye to their own domestic problems,” he said, warning: “any attempt to interfere in China's internal affairs and destabilise China is doomed to failure.»
The comments come against a backdrop of a trade war between the two nations, which has intensified in the last few months following a US executive order banning US companies from trading with Chinese tech giant Huawei.
Geng also directly addressed the Chinese government’s response to the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests, when Chinese tanks moved into the area and troops opened fire, killing hundreds of students and workers who were calling for democracy.
“China's great developmental achievements show that the Chinese government's actions at that time were completely correct. It stabilised the country politically, maintained and continued economic development and social progress,» he told journalists.