Russian Ambassador to the European Union Vladimir Chizhov spoke to RT from Brussels on Wednesday, to comment on the new findings of the Joint Investigation Team's MH17 investigation.
“It started on a bad footing five years ago, I would say, and continued along that route until now.” Chizhov said about the investigation process.
He also explained that Russia “remains open-minded to cooperation... Еще with the investigation” and provided evidences proving “that the particular model of that Buk missile belonged to a generation that had been long out of service in the Russian armed forces.”
Chizhov also mentioned that as long as Russia is not involved in the investigation of the MH17 crash, “it is not responsible for accepting or rejecting any outcome.”
Prosecutors in Nieuwegein announced on Wednesday, that they were charging three Russians and a Ukrainian national with murder for their alleged role in the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 in eastern Ukraine in July 2014.
The charges stem from a Dutch-led international investigation which has concluded that the plane was shot down by a Russian-made missile, reportedly on the basis of communications intercepts provided by Ukrainian intelligence services.
Russia has denied all accusations that it was involved in the crash, which resulted in the deaths of all 298 people on board, and has stated that while the Buk missile used to down the Boeing 777 was manufactured in Moscow in 1986, it was subsequently delivered to the Ukrainian Army and never returned.
In a written statement, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation (MFA) dismissed the JIT's charges on alleged involvement of Russian servicemen in the MH17 crash and said the investigation was based on ‘unfounded accusations and not facts’.
”Moscow regrets JIT statements on alleged involvement of Russian servicemen in the MH17 crash”, but ”will help the probe on the MH17 crash, so that the truth could be found out and real culprits would be punished,” reads the statement.
The three Russian military officers accused with involvement were named as Oleg Pulatov, Igor Girkin, and Sergey Dubinskiy, with the Ukrainian Leonid Kharchenko also being named, and international arrest warrants have been issued for all four men.
The Defence Ministry of the Donetsk People's Republic has denied the allegations that it was involved in the MH17 crash.
A prospective trial date of March 2020 was set by investigators.
Russia does not form part of the Joint Investigation Team (JIT), which is made up of police and criminal justice authorities from the Netherlands, Australia, Belgium, Malaysia and Ukraine.